Group E is the only one of the eight groups that has seen none of its four teams clinch spots in the second round. Italy, Czech Republic, and Ghana all have possiblities of advancing with a tie (Italy definitely would, the other two would need help) and the USA must win (and get help).
For USA fans, the simplest scenario is: beat Ghana and have the Czechs lose to Italy. The USA could advance with a win if the Czechs and Italians play to a draw, but they would have to beat Ghana by at least four goals to advance. Number of goals the USA has scored of its own volition in the World Cup so far: zero.
The Czechs are a battered and bruised bunch. Striker Jan Koller is likely out with a hamstring injury. Striker Milan Baros will probably miss the match too with a foot injury, but there is hope in the Czech camp that he can play. Vratislav Lokvenc is out with two yellow cards. Defender Thomas Ujfalusi is also out after getting a red card against Ghana.
Italy will be missing Daniele De Rossi who got a red card against the USA.
The USA will be missing Eddie Pope and Pablo Mastroeni due to yellow cards.
Ghana will be without its two goal scorers from its win over the Czechs: Sulley Muntari and Asamoah Gyan.
So here are the possible permuations:
1) Italy wins, USA wins - Italy is #1, USA is #2
2) Italy wins, Ghana wins - Italy is #1, Ghana is #2
3) Italy wins, USA-Ghana draw - Italy is #1, Ghana is #2
4) Czechs win, USA wins - Czech Republic is #1, Italy is #2 unless the USA makes up goal difference on Italy (presently +2 for Italy and -3 for USA)
5) Czechs win, Ghana wins - Czech Republic and Ghana advance and goal difference decides placement (presently, the Czechs are +1 and Ghana is at 0)
6) Czechs win, USA-Ghana draw - Czech Republic is #1, Italy and Ghana decide second spot on goal difference (currently Italy is at +2, Ghana is at 0)
7) Italy-Czech Republic draw, USA wins - Italy is #1, Czechs get #2 slot UNLESS USA makes up four goal deficit
8) Italy-Czech Republic draw, Ghana wins - Ghana is #1, Italy is #2
9) Both matches end in draws - Italy is #1, Czech Republic is #2